HOW TO BUILD A BUSINESS WITHOUT OFFICE: CASE OF GAGARIN STUDIO DESIGN STUDIO
Business in a remote format helps to scale faster, invest more in weak spots, create favorable conditions for customers and a special corporate culture.
How – on the example of the international design and branding studio Gagarin Studio tells its founder Artem Beseda.
How a remote team helps scale a business 0
We have been working in a remote format for seven years. The asset has more than 1,200 successful projects for Epicenter, Ukrzaliznitsі, Auchan, METRO, Veresa, Megafon. And a team of more than 100 remote employees in Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus. We are preparing for the opening of a branch in Poland.
They came to the remote format because they are sure: investing is more important in people, ideas and technologies than in square meters and office maintenance.
How a remote team helps scale a business 1
It is checked on itself:
Office “eats” at least 30% of the costs. Yes, in the end, the client pays, but the cost of your services reduces their competitiveness.
We invest in high quality, control, the best specialists, and not in the office.
The choice of remote employees is much wider. In addition, they are more responsible and organized, better able to communicate, value time.
Our employees get in touch with customers from different cities and countries. This diversity is the source of new ideas.
People feel more free. They can travel the world and work simultaneously.
How to organize the work of a remote team
Work without an office is a competitive advantage for those who see prospects and know how to work. But there are moments without which a group of freelancers cannot be made a team of professionals on a remote site. And this is what we have come to.
We fix all the steps
To guide and track processes, you need CRM tailored to your business. We settled on amoCRM: it is optimally suited for working with services, plus it has a convenient task scheduler.
There is a flexible configuration of the funnels, so it is easy to see the load on each manager and the history of each project. If your business is connected with sales and you need synchronization with the warehouse, you will need a different solution.
All business content in a convenient format. Interviews, cases, life hacks of the world – in our telegram channel. Join now!
A lost call when working online is practically a loss of the client. Find and implement your CRM, even if you have two employees so far – developing a business, you will learn how to use it 100%.
Another indispensable tool for teamwork is Trello. He systematizes the implementation of current tasks.
We train and motivate a remote team
1. For adaptation, we developed a five-day training system: every day a novice with a future leader masters one of the working topics. He receives video and text materials, and then passes the “credit” on them on Skype.
This is both training and testing communications. Plus increase employee loyalty.
2. In terms of work schedule requirements, not all of our employees are freelancers. In free mode and with piece-rate pay, employees work for whose replacement training and adaptation are not needed: translators, content managers, copywriters.
And the key employees – project managers, sales people, department heads – are in touch from 10:00 to 19:00. Their tasks are set and controlled through CRM; You can get distracted, but the planned needs to be done.
Salary is formed from the rate plus KPI.
How remote team helps scale business 2
3. Almost all remote employees have a minimum rate (except for those with whom we work very precisely – for example, a copywriter for a project). The rest is formed by bonuses, which are determined by different indicators: average check, earned profit, number of completed transactions.
Result: a person is sure that he will receive a salary, and knows how to increase it.
4. It is difficult to build a team and office, but without it it is even more difficult. I recommend involving a professional in this. Remote HR will create and maintain a comfortable psychological microclimate.
5. Our eychar is constantly connected in Telegram and Skype. She is aware of current projects, every three months conducts an anonymous assessment of satisfaction, oversees newcomers.
In recent months, it was on the basis of HR findings that we changed the financial motivation of designers, acquired online courses for employees, and implemented other changes.
6. Of course, HR is also responsible for the “sense of family”: it organizes congratulations, gifts and material assistance.
7. In order for remote employees to feel ownership in the life of the company, we create a common information field. Skype calls at different levels of the team are held regularly and are dedicated not only to working issues. Sometimes we build them in a playful way.
8. An important rule of remote interaction: it is better to discuss problems in “voice mode” – intonation is important.
9. Recently we had our first corporate event. And it really rallied the team. Communicating remotely is easier and more interesting when personally familiar.